Ways to stave off loneliness
1) Join online forums – “Uncommon Knowledge” is a good one if you would like to chat to other regarding self help or psychology topics. Socialising online is not quite as effective as meeting face to face but it’s a good second best and can help to alleviate loneliness
2) Join the gym – when you’re a the gym, you can either get on with our exercise routine or you can chat to others depending on your mood. The gym is a great way to be around others without feeling the pressure to socialise
3) Get a pet – now a per can’t give you a good intellectual conversation but they are still great company and they love you no matter what. Unconditional love is a wonderful thing!
4) Join Meetup – Meetup is great and operates in the USA, the UK and possibly other countries. It is a wonderful association that covers a multitude of interests. Take a look and see where the closest Meetup group is to you and have a look at the subjects they cover. I have been a member of the cognitive behavioural meetup group and they regularly arrange fascinating talks in London.
5) Use social media – Twitter and Facebook. This is another way to connect with others with little effort and keep regular updates on what others are doing. Again – not as good as face to face interactions but social media still does a fairly good job of allowing some sort of social interaction from home.
6) Try internet dating – from personal experience, the best website is Match.com. Match also arranges single nights where people can get together and mingle with other singles. I tried Dating Direct and Plenty of Fish and found Match.com to be the website that offered the most opportunities.
7) Volunteer – this is a great way to meet new people and I recommend having a look at the website www.do-it.org. It is filled with all types of volunteer work ranging from working with animals to prison visits. There’s something for everyone, so if you have spare time and feel lonely – give it a go. You’ll get the added bonus of knowing you’re helping out in the world.
8) Be open, friendly and approachable. Chat to strangers and always be ready with a smile. In a world where there are a lot of grumpy sad people, everyone appreciates friendliness and a smile. If you give off approachability and warmth, you’ll rarely be lonely!